The course is part of the PhD course on "Advanced topics in plasma physics and astrophysics", which now includes about 10 hours on "Statistical methods for astrophysics".
The main topics covered are:
- Quick recollection of statistical concepts: distributions and their properties (mean, median, mode, standard deviation, higher order moments, covariance)
- Frequentist and Bayesian interpretations
- Bayes theorem, prior distribution, likelihood, posterior distribution
- Test of hypothesis, evidence
- Numerical techniques: distribution sampling, monte-carlo methods, MCMC